I had the opportunity to view the movie Courageous a few times before it opened in theaters across the country. I was not alone in sensing that this movie was special, that it might very well become the beginning of a movement to restore and bring health to millions of families.
The movie premiered this weekend. I waited with anticipation to hear early results and feedback. My expectations were greatly exceeded.
A Weekend of Great Results and Greater Promise
I kept looking at my smart phone as news of the movie came by nearly hourly emails. By the time the weekend concluded, I saw results that were nothing less than the blessings of God.
- Courageous was the number four movie in the country, though it opened against six other movies that had almost three times as many screens.
- It was the number one new movie of the weekend!
- More than one million people saw Courageous this weekend.
- Total box-office earnings were $9.0 million, $2.2 million more than Fireproof on opening weekend.
- Thanks to the amazing turnout, Courageous will run in every opening theater again next weekend.
The numerical results are impressive. But, even more, I am praying for a greater promise. I am praying that God will do a great work in the lives of those who viewed the movie.
My Prayers for Those Who Viewed Courageous
Some of the reports I am hearing already are incredibly encouraging. Here are some of my specific prayers for those who have and will view the movie.
- I pray that many will follow Christ as a result of the clear gospel message of Courageous.
- I pray that men will accept the God-given responsibility to be the spiritual leaders of their families.
- I pray that broken and damaged marriages will be restored.
- I pray that church leaders will use the message of this movie to help strengthen the families in their congregation and their communities.
- I pray that men will be courageous in their stand for their families.
- I pray that many will see that God can use tragedy for His glory and greater good.
- I pray, above all, that God will be glorified in every aspect of this movie and all the resources connected to it.
From a Movie to a Movement
Over 31 years ago, I sat in a church sanctuary on a Sunday evening and watched a reel-to-reel video presentation by a new and upcoming Christian leader named James Dobson. The presentation was called Focus on the Family. It had a tremendous impact on my life. The timing could not have been better. My first son, Sam, would be born the next month.
During that video, I prayed that God would use me to be the kind of father and husband who would honor Him.
I was not alone in that prayer and commitment. I would later learn that many men prayed a similar prayer.
A movement was born.
Now, over three decades later, I am convinced that God will use yet another media presentation to change lives and impact families. Courageous is indeed a great movie. But, even more, it could very well prove to be the beginning of a movement. And that movement will have a tremendous impact on husbands, fathers, wives, and mothers.
I am no longer the father of three young boys. I am the father of three grown men who are fathers themselves. In this second half of my life, I pray again that I will be used of God to honor Him as a husband, a father and, now, a grandfather.
And the movie Courageous reminded me just how important that commitment is.
I would love to hear from you about this movie. I would love to hear stories of lives changed and families touched. What is your story from the movie Courageous?
Let the movement begin!