A massive manhunt is now underway for the second Boston Marathon bombing suspect, who has been named as 19-year-old Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, after the first suspect was shot and killed in a shootout with police early Friday morning.
The pair of suspects are believed to be brothers from the Russian Caucasus, although they reportedly moved to Kazakhstan at a young age. The 19-year-old is reported to have lived in the United States since at least 2007, according to a source who claimed to be his friend and went to high school with him.
The name, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, is listed among the recipients of Cambridge scholarships in 2011.
The second suspect is said to be his brother Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26.
It has been reported that at approximately 10.20 p.m. ET on Thursday police were called to a 7-Eleven store in Cambridge after the bombing suspects robbed the store.
Minutes later the men shot and killed an MIT campus officer responding to the robbery call, resulting in a lockdown at the university campus.
The terror suspects then carjacked a Mercedes-Benz with the driver still inside and fled. They later released the driver, but were spotted in Watertown where they exchanged gunfire with patrol officers.
Police are said to have shot and apprehended Suspect 1, who was then rushed to Beth Israel Medical Center. He arrived at the hospital under cardiac arrest with multiple gunshot wounds and blast-like injuries to his chest.
The second suspect fled on foot, leading to a tense manhunt that is still underway early Friday morning.
"We believe this to be a terrorist," said Boston police Commissioner Ed Davis. "We believe this to be a man who has come here to kill people. We need to get him into custody."
According to Boston police, the suspect who remained at large was the "one in the white hat" who was seen in the photos released by the FBI earlier on Thursday.
Here is a video news report on the killing of Suspect No. 1: