The editor of the newspaper responsible for publishing the images of Kate Middleton while topless resigned from his position on Saturday.
Earlier this year, the Irish Daily Star published pictures of Middleton while on vacation in France. Following widespread outcry over the photos, the publication suspended Michael O'Kane as editor.
Saturday, the newspaper announced that O'Kane's suspension was permanent.
"As a result of the publication on 15 September 2012, issues arose with the shareholders of Independent Star Limited," the paper said in a statement. "Having considered those issues in tandem with Mr. O'Kane, it is Mr. O'Kane's decision to reign as editor of the Irish Daily Star, effective immediately."
The publication of the photos of Middleton caused outrage, especially in the U.K., where many media outlets refused to publish them. Moreover, British media kingpin Richard Desmond, who partially owns the Star, threatened to shut down the paper after it ran the images.
Northern and Shell, also shareholders of the Irish Daily Star, immediately said at the time the photos ran that they disagreed with the tabloid's decision and that it had caused "very much regret and distress."
The British royal known as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, and her husband, Prince William, were also "furious" and felt that "a red line has been crossed," according to a statement from their representative.
Meanwhile, the royal couple continues to make public appearances, including this weekend during a rugby match in Cardiff, England. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge greeted officials and former rugby players, including those who had been injured while participating in the sport.
Edward Jones of the Welsh Rugby Charitable Trust, which supports injured players, noted that the royals' visit "was a source of encouragement and inspiration to all those connected with the Welsh Rugby Charitable Trust, both players and trustees alike," according to Marie Claire U.K.