Kobe Bryant is being investigated for possibly injuring a young man while attending St. Therese of Carmel Church in San Diego on Sunday.
Bryant, NBA all-star and Los Angeles Laker, reportedly confronted the young man after he believed he was taking his picture with his mobile phone camera, CBS Los Angeles reports. Police officers told The Los Angeles Times that a dispute occurred in the back of the church, causing the ball player to take the young man’s phone.
Bryant reportedly looked through the cellular device and decided there were no pictures of him or his family. After returning the phone to the young man, Bryant left the church service early.
However, the young man later went to the hospital and was diagnosed with a major wrist sprain, according to The Los Angeles Times. A San Diego police offer told the publication that an investigation is taking place which would include interviewing all participants in the matter.
"We're attempting to interview all the [participants]," said a San Diego police spokesman.
Although Bryant may have sprained a church attendee’s wrist, he has received some support from members of St. Therese of Carmel church.
"Churches are not the place for photos -- outside perhaps, but not in church," one church member told Fox News.
Another member of the church agreed, saying mobile snapshots were not reasonable to take in church.
"I don't think they should take photos of people in church. I mean, it's a private place," another member agreed.
The Huffington Post reports that the young man is strongly considering suing Bryant. Although the shooting guard may make well under the $90 million he earned last year due to the lockout taking place, ESPN reports that he will become the highest paid basketball player in the league in the next season.