Miley Cyrus has opened up about her engagement to Liam Hemsworth in a recent interview, stating that they are in no hurry to tie the knot.
Upon reports of her engagement, many criticized Cyrus, age 19, for being too young to marry. Regardless of her age, the singer and actress maintained that their vow to one another trumps all other issues.
"I don't really care about the wedding or the piece of paper as much as I do the promise we've made to each other," said the "Party in the U.S.A." singer, according to Marie Claire magazine.
"We want to have a long engagement," she added in the magazine's September, on shelves Aug. 14. "Life is too short not to be with the person you want to be with."
The couple met when they co-starred in "The Last Song" together in 2009 where he was reportedly her first kiss. Many of those close to Cyrus have defended her and Hemsworth's decision to become engaged. Hemsworth, who starred in "The Hunger Games," is 22 years old.
Cyrus also divulged the story behind her engagement ring, which made a splash with fashion critics. Hemsworth proposed on May 31 with a 3.5-carat cushion-cut diamond ring from jeweler Neil Lane.
"I had no input," Cyrus told Marie Claire of the rose-gold diamond ring. "We'd been kind of talking about getting engaged … I saw it online at one point and thought it was really pretty … I just love that it's old and has a story. And I'm happy because it doesn't look like anything else I wear."
Cyrus noted that his popping the question was a "complete surprise" and that her parents were also unaware of his plans. The pair has not yet set a date, but Cyrus added how happy they are.
"Liam and I have a really good relationship … neither of us is super-jealous," she said. "We know each other and would never do anything to hurt each other."
In addition to the interview, Cyrus posed for images in Marie Claire that reveal the star with platinum blonde hair. The "Hannah Montana" star continues to recreate her image into an older artist following her years with Disney.
- Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth Already 'Married,' Says Actor
- Man Has 15 Miley Cyrus Tattoos, Hopes to Catch Star's Attention
- Miley Cyrus Cancels Engagement? Singer Posts Cryptic Tweet
- Miley Cyrus Wrist Cuts Exposed Amid Broken Engagement Speculation?
- Miley Cyrus With Blonde Hair, Picks Up Skateboarding (PHOTO)
- Miley Cyrus' New Blonde Bombshell Look (PICTURES)
- Miley Cyrus Already Pregnant? Singer '19 Going on 40'
- Braison Cyrus Hospitalized: I 'Swallowed A Ton of My Own Blood'
- Liam Hemsworth Tells Miley Cyrus to Leave Film Set for Distracting Him, 'Buzzing Around'?
- Miley Cyrus in Bathtub, Nude Photo Raises Concerns About Marriage
- Miley Cyrus 'Swatting' 911 Call Claims Kidnapping, Shots Fired at Calif. Home
- Miley Cyrus Swatting Prank Brings Helicopter to Fake Crime Scene