The Norway gunman, Anders Behring Breivik, has told the court at his hearing in Oslo Monday that two other cells aided him in the vicious shooting and bombing that killed 76 people last week.
Judge Kim Heger, the judge residing at the hearing said that Breivik acknowledges carrying out the attacks, but said the attacks were necessary to prevent the colonization of the country by Muslims.
He accused the Labour Party of committing treason and promoting multiculturalism which made them the targets in his attack. He also claimed to have accomplices.
“The accused has made statements today that require further investigation, including that there are two more cells in our organization,” said Heger at a news conference.
Breivik originally stated that he worked alone in the attacks.
According to police attorney Christian Halto it cannot be completely confirmed whether Breivik worked with other cells just based on his claims alone.
Norway police are now investigating the claim, but they refused to release any further information from the private court hearing held Monday.
Breivik requested an open hearing because he wanted to “explain fully to the world what he had done” and “why he had done it.”
However, his request was denied after prosecutors and police persuaded the court to do otherwise, thus barring media from directly covering the hearing.
Police arrested Breivik under Norway’s terrorism laws and he will not learn of the actual charges against him until the investigation of his case is complete.
The Judge ordered him to eight weeks solitary detention following today’s hearing. He will be unable to receive letters or have any contact with the media during this time, and only his lawyers will be allowed to visit him.