Second Sinkhole Appears: Florida Residents Alarmed at New Sinkhole (VIDEO)

0
Sign Up for Free eNewsletter ››
By Jon Campbell , Christian Post Contributor
March 5, 2013|9:46 am
  • Demolition crews watch as the house, where Jeffrey Bush was swallowed by a sinkhole, is demolished in Seffner, Florida March 3, 2013. Florida rescue workers ended their efforts on Saturday to recover the body of Jeffrey Bush, who disappeared into the sink
    (Photo: Reuters/Scott Audette)
    Demolition crews watch as the house, where Jeffrey Bush was swallowed by a sinkhole, is demolished in Seffner, Florida March 3, 2013. Florida rescue workers ended their efforts on Saturday to recover the body of Jeffrey Bush, who disappeared into the sinkhole that swallowed his bedroom while he slept and demolished the suburban Tampa home due to its dangerous conditions, a rescue spokeswoman said.

A second sinkhole has appeared in Tampa, Florida on Monday, just a few miles from the sinkhole that devoured a man as he laid in his bed at home last week.

The new sinkhole is not thought to pose an immediate danger to anyone, authorities have reassured. Hillsborough County spokesman, Willie Puz, has described that it has appeared between two homes and was about 12-feet round, 3 feet deep around the edge and about 5 feet deep in the center.

A second sinkhole will alarm residents in the area, although it appears as though the new one is completely unrelated to the one that tragically swallowed 37-year-old Jeff Bush in his bedroom last week.

Puz confirmed to media: "It is not geologically connected."

The first sinkhole gained international media coverage, leaving readers shocked as Bush was sucked down into a hole that suddenly opened up under his bedroom on Thursday night.

Bush's family members have recalled to media that they were all preparing for bed when they heard a loud crashing sound and then Jeff Bush screaming as he was sucked down into the hole.

That first sinkhole measured about 30 feet wide and 60 feet deep, and since it opened up it has become filled with clay and debris.

Officials have stated that despite a thorough search it is highly unlikely that Bush's body will ever be recovered from the hole.

The home was bulldozed to the ground on Monday, and officials will now move to stabilize the sinkhole so it does not cause any further issues to the other residents in the area.

Already two other houses nearby the sinkhole home have been evacuated through fears that they too could collapse, as the foundations below the structures have been significantly weakened.

Jessica Damico of Hillsborough County Fire Rescue has said at this point it is very likely that the evacuated residents may never be allowed to return to those homes again.

Here is a video of a news report into the Florida sinkhole:

 

Videos that May Interest You

When this news anchor is broadcasting, a foster child who she helped appears - Inspirational!

Advertisement