- (Reuters/Albert Gea)
A $100 million Shakira lawsuit has been filed by her ex-boyfriend, Antonio de La Rua. A laywer for the ex has confirmed that he is seeking the huge sum and says the singer left his client no choice but to take legal action.
The lawsuit has been filed in New York City, and demands that Shakira pay de La Rue $100 million in compensation for unpaid services when he claims he helped manage and direct her career.
Attorney, William T. Reid IV, has said that de La Rue had attempted to talk to the singer about the situation and try to come to an amicable agreement about what he is owed, but that the Colombian musician refused to hold any such negotiations.
Reid has told reporters that de La Rue "didn't really want to" file the lawsuit but had been forced to by Shakira's inaction to respond.
De La Rua is the son of former Argentine President Fernando de la Rua. He was in fact a couple with Shakira for more than a decade, but went through a bitter break up last year. They were together for so long that some sources have been surprised at how the situation between them had escalated recently.
The lawsuit, which was filed on Nov. 20, has not been initially responded to by Shakira's representatives. As yet neither the singer's public relations company, 42West, nor her attorneys, Fox Horan & Camerini LPP, have made any public statement about the accusations or the lawsuit.
Since breaking up with de La Rue, Shakira has moved on and is dating Barcelona soccer player Gerard Pique. Recently it was announced that the singer is pregnant with the soccer player's baby.