Teresa Giudice, the 41-year-old "Real Housewives Of New Jersey" star, and her husband Giuseppe "Joe" Giudice are officially proclaiming their innocence after being indicted for 39 counts of conspiracy to defraud lenders.
Miles Feinstein, an attorney for Joe Giudice, spoke about his client being innocent before entering the U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., on Wednesday.
"They vehemently deny their guilt," Feinstein told reporters, according to the Los Angeles Times. "There's a presumption of innocence and they vehemently assert their innocence."
The Giudice's are being charged for making attempts to illegally obtain mortgages while withholding information about their income from their reality television show. U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman spoke about the indictment that took place last month.
"The indictment returned today alleges the Giudices lied to the bankruptcy court, to the IRS and to a number of banks," Fishman told The Daily News. "Everyone has an obligation to tell the truth when dealing with the courts, paying their taxes and applying for loans or mortgages. That's reality."
Mrs. Giudice spoke out about her legal issues for the first time on Celebuzz.com last month.
"Today is a most difficult day for our family. I support Joe and, as a wonderful husband and father, I know he wants only the best for our lovely daughters and me," she said in a statement obtained by Celebuzz. "I am committed to my family and intend to maintain our lives in the best way possible, which includes continuing my career. As a result, I am hopeful that we will resolve this matter with the Government as quickly as possible."
Mrs. Giudice's attorney, Henry Klingeman, let it be known that he would work to clear his client's name.
"Teresa will plead 'not guilty,'" Klingeman said, according to E! online. "The judicial process that begins today with an indictment is a search for the truth. As it moves forward, we look forward to vindicating her."
While the Giudices are out on a $500,000 bail, their trial will begin on Oct. 8.