The fourth installment of the "Transformers" series will actually be a reboot, according to producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura.
He was interviewed by MTV recently and also stated that Michael Bay would be returning to direct the film, but that it would actually be part a new trilogy and that it would arrive in theaters in the summer of 2014.
Michael Bay gave fans his official confirmation in a post written on his website earlier this week.
"There has been a lot of speculation about what I'm going to do next and when or if I will do another Transformers," he wrote.
"I have just concluded a deal with Paramount to do two movies, but it won't be two 'Transformers,'" he continued. "I will do 'Pain & Gain' with Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Then I will do the next 'Transformers' for release on June 29, 2014."
Di Bonaventura explained to MTV how he and Bay will approach making next "Transformers" film.
"He's a cool customer," he said of Bay. "He's excited. I think the challenge there is that we are really going to do a reboot and that's going to be, we don't even know yet."
The producer was also asked if Jason Statham would be the new star of the series replacing Shia LeBouf who played the main character in the first three "Transformers." Statham's involvement in the series has been an ongoing rumor for about a year.
Di Bonaventura replied by saying that it was way too early for him to discuss casting.
"No, it's so silly," he said. "We have to get a story first. You can't pick characters if you don't pick a story."
He explained this reboot as being an "evolution" of the series and not a hard reboot the way "Batman Begins" is.
atman Begins' is.