Kate Middleton has made her first appearance since falling ill just after news of her pregnancy was announced.
- (Photo: REUTERS/Kirsty Wigglesworth/Pool)
The Duchess of Cambridge has been in and out of the hospital since first announcing her pregnancy on Dec. 6. Middleton suffers from acute morning sickness and last week she was forced to cancel an appearance for the premiere of "The Hobbit."
But Sunday, the Duchess was determined to make an appearance during BBC's Sports Personality of the Year Awards in London. Middleton wore a dark green Alexender McQueen dress for the event. The dress had bell sleeves that cut off near the wrist and a flat stomach that revealed Middleton is still very thin and not yet showing.
Middleton's husband Prince William was unable to attend the event because he was working a shift for the RAF search and rescue team, but the Duchess appeared "determined." She could not confirm her appearance until the "last minute," however.
"A decision wasn't made until the very last minute due to Catherine's health," a source told Us Weekly.
Middleton was hospitalized for three nights starting on Dec. 3 and while she is feeling better, she is still unable to stay for long engagements.
"She doesn't feel well enough to carry out a lengthy engagement but was determined to pay tribute to [Team GB sportsmen and women]," the source said.
Middleton presented the Lifetime Achievement awards with David Beckham to Lord Seb Coe, Jessica Ennis and Bradley Wiggins, according to the Us Weekly report. While the Duchess said little during the presentation, she did add a few words to each athlete.
The Duchess is in her first 12 weeks of pregnancy, according to palace officials. She was surrounded by controversy last week after an Australian radio station attempted to prank a hospital caring for the Duchess, resulting in the suicide of the nurse who took the call.
- Snooki's Baby Advice to Pregnant Kate Middleton: 'Don't Stress Out'
- Kate Middleton Morning Sickness Back With A Vengeance
- Kate Middleton Prank Call Nurse Left Suicide Note, Came From Catholic Family
- Jacintha Saldanha Hung Herself, Slashed Wrists After Royal Prank
- DJs Moved to Safehouses After Death Threats Following Kate Middleton Nurse Suicide Prank (VIDEO)
- Jacintha Saldanha: Kate Prank Nurse Criticized Hospital Staff in Suicide Note