Casey Anthony Trial: Cindy Anthony Wanted Casey's Arrest in Distressed 911 Phone Calls

Casey Anthony’s mother made three 911 phone calls on July 15, 2008 – the day when she reported her two-year-old granddaughter missing.

The Orlando, Fla.-courtroom, convened for day six of the Casey Anthony murder trial, listened to the 911 phone calls that Cindy Anthony made. When Cindy heard her hysterical third 911 call, made after she overheard Casey admitting that Caylee had been missing for a month, she cried uncontrollably.

“Caylee’s missing,” Cindy Anthony had said hysterically to the 911 dispatcher. “It smells like there’s been a dead body in the damn car.”

Get Our Latest News for FREE

Subscribe to get daily/weekly email with the top stories (plus special offers!) from The Christian Post. Be the first to know.

Earlier on Tuesday, Cindy said that her husband George had retrieved Casey’s car from the tow park. When he pulled into the garage, she went out to meet him and asked, “What died?” referring to the potent stench coming from the car.

Caylee’s favorite doll was in the car and the grandmother recalled using Febreze and Clorox wipes to try to remove the odor that smelled like human decomposition.

The recording of the third 911 call also revealed that Casey was asked by the dispatcher why she didn’t report her daughter missing earlier. Casey in the recording responded calmly, “I’ve been looking for her and just gone through other resources to find her, which was stupid.” Casey told the emergency dispatcher that her daughter’s nanny, Zanny, had kidnapped Caylee.

A medical examine ruled that Caylee died on June 16, 2008, in a homicide by undetermined means. The toddler’s remains were found six months later near the Anthony home with duct tape around the nose and mouth.

The prosecution claims that Casey used chloroform to knock Caylee out and then used three pieces of duct tape on the toddler’s nose and mouth to suffocate her.

But the defense claims that Caylee accidentally drowned in the family’s pool on June 16, 2008, and that George Anthony, Casey’s father, helped the defendant to dispose of the body.

Cindy Anthony said she made the first two 911 calls that same day after a friend of Casey led her to then-boyfriend Tony Lazzaro’s apartment. Casey had agreed to leave the apartment with her mother and take her to see Caylee. But she kept making excuses during the ride on why Cindy couldn’t see her granddaughter.

Fed up with a month of excuses, Cindy pulled into a police station ready to ask for legal help. But the station was closed by 5 p.m., so she made her first 911 call that day and told the dispatcher that she wanted Casey arrested for theft of money and the family’s car that was found at the tow yard.

Casey begged her mother for more time, but Cindy said she already waited a month to see Caylee.

Cindy and George had seen Caylee nearly every day since she was born, having nearly raised their granddaughter since birth.

In the second 911 call, Cindy said that she wanted Casey arrested and mentioned, “I have a possible missing child.”

The third 911 call came after Cindy heard Casey’s brother, Lee Anthony, questioning Casey about Caylee at home. That was when Casey told her brother that Caylee had been missing for 31 days.

In addition to first degree murder, Anthony faces several charges, including providing false information to law enforcement, aggravated child abuse, and aggravated manslaughter of a child. If convicted, the 25-year-old could be handed the death penalty.

Was this article helpful?

Help keep The Christian Post free for everyone.

By making a recurring donation or a one-time donation of any amount, you're helping to keep CP's articles free and accessible for everyone.

We’re sorry to hear that.

Hope you’ll give us another try and check out some other articles. Return to homepage.

Most Popular

More Articles