Have you ever seen the show "MythBusters"? Every week, these two crazy guys try to separate truth from urban legend. They take commonly accepted ideas like the ones that say eating turkey makes you sleepy or that certain sodas will completely dissolve rusty bolts, and then they prove them to be true or false.
I have to wonder if the Apostle Paul would have been the host of this type of show from a spiritual perspective. He certainly would have had a blast busting the "irreverent and silly myths" of his day with the truth of Jesus!
The same thing can happen in the fitness world. So, for this month's column, I want to tackle three of the most common myths that pertain to our health.
Health Myth No. 1: Someone or something else is responsible for where you are.
This is known as the Blame Game. "I'm not happy with the way things are going, so I am going to come up with the reasons why." In other words, we make excuses.
Health Myth No. 1......... BUSTED
1. The bottom line is this: No one else is responsible for where you are. Not your mother, not your boss, not your spouse, not your kids. It is up to you! One of the written standards at my boys' school is to "take full responsibility for your actions and their consequences." There will always be reasons, but if it is important enough to you, you will find a way!
2. David asks God to examine his heart in Psalm 139. He wanted to be exposed. He wanted to face the truth so that he could take action. And that is God's instruction for us: ask Him to examine and reveal our hearts, then help us move forward toward better health!
Health Myth No. 2: It's easy to get in shape.
Have you ever seen those infomercials that promise the perfect physique in just minutes a day? You could easily start to think that being healthy and getting in shape would require very little time and almost no effort.
Health Myth No. 2...... BUSTED
1. It is impossible to achieve anything worthwhile without an investment of time and effort. The participants on the show "The Biggest Loser" don't lose weight without sacrifice, determination and tons of effort. Would it be possible to have a deep relationship with God in only seven minutes a day? Not a chance!
2. It is simple to get in shape, but it is not easy. When you really boil it down, if you exercise regularly and eat the right foods in the right amounts at the right times, you will get in better shape. Simple? Yes. Easy? No.
Health Myth No. 3: You can eat anything you want and still be healthy as long as you work out.
As a former health club operator, I can't tell you how many members told me that they worked out so they could eat whatever they wanted. Seriously!
Health Myth No. 3....... BUSTED
1. Your body has been designed by God to be like a high performance vehicle. If you put 87 octane fuel into a car that requires 93, that vehicle will perform poorly and eventually require significant maintenance and repair.
2. Garbage in = Garbage out. Almost every cell in your body is replaced every seven to nine years, and the quality of those cells is directly affected by the foods that we eat.
Remember, have nothing to do with those godless myths. Instead, seek God's truth for your health—mind, body and soul!
*For more health and fitness related information including Jimmy Page's "Fit Life Today" daily podcast, visit FCA Health & Fitness.
Jimmy Page is the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Health and Fitness Director
Medical Disclaimer: All information in this article is of a general nature and is furnished for your knowledge and understanding only. This information is not to be taken as medical or other health advice pertaining to your specific health and medical condition. Always consult a physician or health professional before beginning any exercise or nutrition program.