UPDATE 11.45 a.m. ET - Authorities have confirmed a call came in around 9.30 a.m. with a witness reporting that a shooting had occurred in Melbourne Square Mall's food court area.
Multiple media outlets are reporting at least two people were injured, and police ordered the evacuation of the mall. Just prior to 10.40 a.m. ET police tweeted that the shooter had been "contained" although the condition of the shooter has not been immediately reported.
Some employees working in the mall have reported hearing three of four gunshots in quick succession, where as others have claimed hearing five or six shots.
Eye witnesses have claimed seeing at least two injured people being taken out from the mall.
A Florida mall shooting has seen police scramble to tackle the threat of what initially appears to be a lone gunman.
Officials have confirmed that police in central Florida responded to reports of a shooting at Melbourne Square Mall on Saturday morning.
The Melbourne Police Department released a message on Twitter on Saturday morning confirming that police officers were "currently working a shooting" and "have control of (the) situation" at the Melbourne Square Mall.
Some reports, that The Christian Post has not been able to independently verify, have claimed the shooter injured two and then turned the gun on himself.
Police have also said that the gunman is "contained," the report said.
Officials have also confirmed that the mall has been temporarily closed.