Apple's release of the iOS 5 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch today undoubtedly has many eager to upgrade their gadgets, with the latest software from the iOS line touting over 200 new features. Here is a list summarizing few of the best new and improved features that will have customers anxious to upgrade, according to Apple.com.
- PC Free: Apple is now allowing users to download software updates directly to their devices, meaning PC's are no longer needed. Users can set up their devices wirelessly and everything can be backed up and restored from the iCloud feature
- iMessage: Apple has included a new instant messaging service that includes the iPad and the iPod touch, allowing a user to send unlimited text messages to anyone with either of those devices, including the iPhone. The feature offers group messaging and gives the user the option of being able to start a conversation on one of those devices and pick it up on another.
- Camera: The new iOS software allows users to open the Camera app from the lock screen and includes features such as gridlines, pinch-to-zoom gestures and single-tap focus locks to snap a quick picture.
- Photos: The software now includes more photo enhancement features that allow a person to crop, rotate, and enhance photos without have to leave the Photo app, and he or she can even organizie photos into albums right on the device.
- Safari: The iOS offers more web-browsing features, displaying articles without ads or clutter and enabling users to save articles that they wish to view later. It also offers tabbed browsing making it easier to switch between multiple web pages.
- Mail: Apple now offers more style features for text, allowing users to create bold, italic or underlined fonts. They can also search for specific emails in the body of messages.
The iOS 5 was requires an iPhone 3S, iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S, a third and fourth generation iPod touch, or an iPad or iPad 2, according Macobserver.com. The newest version of iTunes that was released Tuesday, iTunes 10.5, is also needed.