Democratic presidential debates are generally a time for voters to see who they will nominate for the general election.
However, in recent weeks, many have spotted sightings of a mysterious — and in the opinions of some — creepy middle-aged guy amongst the candidates.
Various photos have emerged showing this unknown person alongside Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, adding to the intrique.
In October, he was on the stage for the Democratic Debate hosted by CNN, but was given little attention by the media.
"OMGoodness, I mean like srsly who is that creeper next to Hillary? An obsessed stalker or sth?" tweeted one teenager.
"He looks like that serial killer who lives next door and seems normal until you open his fridge," opined another Twitter handle.
Even many major news outlets are unsure as to the unknown man's name or why he has been able to skirt past strict security for so long.
When the Wall Street Journal covered this year's Iowa Jefferson-Jackson Dinner, the person of interest was photographed by an AP reporter with Clinton and Bernie Sanders, but was simply labeled "an unidentified man."
Experts are debating just who the fellow might be, having just recently ruled out that he was Lincoln Chafee.
A leading theory as to the man's identity is that he might be a special detachment of the United States Secret Service meant to protect the former first lady.
"It is not uncommon for modern government security forces to deeply embed themselves in the lives of those they claim to protect," noted one scholar.
"As we speak, security folk could be all around us. Listening to our every word, bugging our phones, poisoning our water, and stealing our organs. Ahhh!!!!"
Other theories proposed by individuals who remembered to take their medication include, but are not exclusive to, the John Doe figure being:
- A relative of either Clinton or Sanders. Possibly the crazy drunken uncle who uses one of them as a designated driver.
- Someone hired to cue Hillary on what emotions to express.
- The Party Commissar that Bernie answers to.
- The journalist who successfully pulled Brian Williams from the downed helicopter he had been flying while providing air support for the D-Day invasion.
- A member of Joe Biden's exploratory committee who didn't get the memo.
- A streaker who is waiting for the opportune time to strike.
- Joe the Plumber's more successful CEO younger brother.
At least one reporter, a native of Baltimore, has suggested that it might be former Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley. However, this theory is widely disputed.
WARNING: THE ARTICLE ABOVE IS A WORK OF SATIRE. PLEASE SHARE RESPONSIBLY.