Marriage is always a hot topic, no matter when it's brought up. Obviously, there are a lot of current conversations taking place over the Supreme Court's ruling on same-sex marriages, but there has always been a great deal of discussion on major issues in the area of marriage, including unhealthy marriages, divorce statistics, and unfaithfulness, as well as the major question, "How does someone ever have a healthy marriage?"
There is an almost infinite number of articles, books, and conferences that attempt to educate us on what marriage is, what it should look like, how to get or stay married, and who should be able to marry.
Most of us spend the majority of our time educating ourselves on what the culture, the government, and our friends have to say about marriage. Sadly, we spend a lot less time searching out what the Inventor, Creator, and Determiner of marriage has to say in his Holy Word about the topic of marriage.
So, let's take a brief moment and step away from the noise of culture to "Be still and know that He is God (Psalm 46:10a)," and search Scripture to see what it has to say about marriage. No opinions, just the text itself. After all, millions of people, including the media, government officials, and celebrities have a whole lot to say about something that God has already spoken about, and if God creates and invents something, shouldn't He get to define what it is? How arrogant of us as creation to think we can redefine what a Creator has already defined.
1. God created man and woman: "then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature (Genesis 2:7)." "And the rib that the Lord God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man (Genesis 2:22)".
2. God invented marriage to be between man and woman: "Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh (Genesis 2:24)."
3. Jesus affirms marriage is between a man and woman: "He answered, "Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'? So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate (Matthew 19:4 – 6)."
4. A good spouse is a gift from the Lord: "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord (Proverbs 18:22)." "Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful woman who can find (Proverbs 20:6)?"
5. A husband and wife should not be unnecessarily annoying: "It is better to live in a corner of the housetop than in a house shared with a quarrelsome wife (Proverbs 21:9)." "A continual dripping on a rainy day and a quarrelsome wife are alike (Proverbs 27:15)."
6. A husband and wife should enjoy each other sexually: "The husband should give to his wife her conjugal rights, and likewise the wife to her husband. For the wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. Likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Do not deprive one another (1 Corinthians 7:3 – 5a)."
7. A husband and wife must be faithful to each other: "Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous (Hebrews 13:4)."
8. Husbands and wives should deeply value each other in their roles: "Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them (Colossians 3:18 – 19)."
9. Marriage is about love and respect: "However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband (Ephesians 5:33)."
10. Marriage is a Gospel presentation to the world: "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her (Ephesians 5:25)." "This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church (Ephesians 5:32)."
Article posted here.