Recommended

Current Page: U.S. | Monday, October 20, 2014
Michael Brown Protesters Bracing for No Indictment After Darren Wilson Claims Self Defense

Michael Brown Protesters Bracing for No Indictment After Darren Wilson Claims Self Defense

The late Michael Brown, 18. | (Photo: Reuters)

Ferguson, Missouri Police Officer Darren Wilson reportedly told investigators that he fatally shot unarmed teen Michael Brown in self defense and protesters are said to be bracing for the possibility of no indictment.

Details revealed by The New York Times on Friday included Wilson's first public account of the shooting, which occurred in Ferguson on Aug. 9. He claims that there was a struggle and that he shot 18-year-old Brown twice from inside of his squad car after the teen allegedly reached for his gun.

The six-year veteran police officer says he hit Brown in the arm with the first gunshot but missed the teen with the second shot. FBI forensic tests reportedly show Brown's blood on the barrel of Wilson's gun, uniform and police car.

The Times report pointed out that Wilson's account did not explain why he shot at Brown multiple times after emerging from his squad car.

Wilson, who claims Brown was the agressor, reportedly shot Brown up to six times and has not been arrested. This has sparked months of nationwide protests from supporters of the Brown family, who believe the teen was wrongfully killed.

Protesters gesture as they stand in a street in defiance of a midnight curfew meant to stem ongoing demonstrations in reaction to the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri August 17, 2014. The group of protesters angry at the shooting death of Brown, a black teenager, by a white police officer remained on the streets of Ferguson, Missouri, early on Sunday minutes past the declared curfew, as police began to clear the streets in a tense standoff. | (Photo: Reuters/Lucas Jackson)
Police officers point their weapons at demonstrators protesting against the shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, Aug. 18, 2014. | (Photo: Reuters/Joshua Lott)

Protesters are now said to be considering the idea that Wilson may not be indicted by the St. Louis County grand jury hearing evidence or charged with civil rights violations.

"Many of us are shocked. This feel likes a coordinated media campaign to prepare us for a no indictment decision," Deray McKesson, an organizer for the protests in the wake of Brown's death, told msnbc on Saturday. "The timing of this article suggests there will not be even a civil rights filing, which is dangerous."

Last month Wilson testified before the 12 jurors, nine white and six black, for four hours. The grand jury's term officially ended on Sept. 10, but they will continue being presented with every shred of evidence until the investigation is complete.

Dorian Johnson, a friend who was with Brown at the time of the shooting, previously said that they encountered Wilson while walking in the middle of the street at the Canfield Green Apartments. He said the officer told them to use the sidewalk and that after an exchange of words, Wilson shot Brown.

Angela Whitman, a Ferguson resident who was among activists meeting with U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder there in August, found Wilson's reported account "so hard to believe."

"There was speculation probably about a week ago, that Wilson will not be indicted, and that he is going to get off. People are more angry now. There's more anger now than when the incident happened," Whitman said.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who has been lending support to the Brown family, blasted Wilson's reported account.

"You are asking me to believe that a young man that was shot and knew he didn't have a gun ran back at you, in toward a gun that already shot him?" Sharpton asked at his National Action Network headquarters.

Wilson, who is hiding due to death threats, has been placed on paid administrative leave while the investigation is ongoing.

Sponsored

Most Popular

More In U.S.