Some 37 million online Bible references were surveyed and then ranked by popularity to create a website that makes searching for scriptures easier.
TopVerses.com ranked every Bible verse by popularity and published the results on its website, which launched this month. Instead of starting in Genesis, the ranked search shows popular verses first. It found that 87 of the top 100 verses are from the New Testament.
"Putting the most popular verses first makes the Bible much more accessible. All sorts of people are visiting the site and seeing the Bible in a new way," said Peter B. Chapman, the creator of the TopVerses.com. "I love finding old favorites in Psalms. You can see the top 10 Proverbs by simply clicking on Proverbs."
The most popular verse was John 3:16, with over twice the reference as the second most popular verse – John 1.1.
Although the book of John was the most popular Gospel, it was ranked sixth overall with the book of Ephesians taking first place.
Shorter books tended to score better with the book of Malachi being the most popular book from the Old Testament and ranked 19th overall. It had five verses in the top 1,000 most popular verses.
"You no longer have to search through a hundred verses to find the one you have in mind. Most of the time, I find it on the first page," said Pastor Jason Hubbart of Every Nation Church in Sydney, in a report.
Top 10 Verses
1. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
2. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
3. John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me".
4. Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
5. Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
6. Ephesians 2:8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.
7. Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
8. Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.
9. 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
10. Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Top 10 Books
4. 1 John
5. 2 Peter
10. 1 Peter
Top 10 Chapters
1. 2 Peter 1
2. Psalm 1
3. John 2
4. James 4
5. Romans 12
6. Isaiah 53
7. John 3
8. Romans 1
9. James 1
10. Acts 1