The tradition of celebrating Mother's Day can be traced back to ancient Rome, when people would honor Cybele, the mother of the gods, with offerings, parades, and masquerades. In the modern world, Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May and was made a national holiday in 1914 by then-President Woodrow Wilson.
While Mother's Day isn't a federal holiday, it is nonetheless a special time when moms get to put their feet up, get pampered, and are treated to something special by their family. This is the one day a year when moms are honored for their noble, life-long roles as homemakers, guardians, child bearers, and all-around, 24/7 support systems for their families.
This Mother's Day, give the moms in your life something to smile/laugh about with these ten funny quotes that reflect the reality of every mom's crazy and exhausting - but ultimately rewarding - experience.
1. "If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" -Milton Berle
2. "Mothers of teenagers know why animals eat their young." -SomeEcards
3. "It's not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it." -Dorothy, "The Golden Girls"
4. "Neurotics build castles in the air; psychotics live in them. My mother cleans them." -Rita Rudner
5. "Mothers are all slightly insane." -J.D. Salinger
6. "Clarity and focus doesn't always come from God or inspirational quotes. Usually, it takes your mother to slap the reality back into you." -Shannon L. Alder
7. "There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it." -Chinese proverb
8. "The quickest way for a mother to get her children's attention is to sit down and look comfortable." -SomeEcards
9. "In the end, Mothers are always right. No one else tells the truth." -Randy Susan Meyers, "The Murderer's Daughters"
10. "Don't forget Mother's Day. Or as they call it in Beverly Hills, Dad's Third Wife Day." -Jay Leno