Now that 1400 delegates from the Boy Scouts of America have chosen to vote on the issue of homosexuality, it seems like a good time to consider some of the differences between the BSA and Christ's Church. Here are 25 differences between the two groups:
1. Jesus instituted His Church. Jesus did not institute the Boy Scouts.
2. The Boy Scouts are young men from various religions, and some of them have no religion. Christ's Church is made up of those who believe the Christian Gospel and follow Christ.
3. The foundation of the BSA historically has been basic morality. The foundation of Christ's Church is the cross where Jesus died for sinners, and His resurrection from the grave. The Christian life itself is of course one of righteous behavior.
4. Jesus sent His disciples into the world to make other disciples of Christ. It is not the purpose of the BSA to make disciples of Jesus Christ.
5. Christ's Church does not endorse sin. The BSA has now chosen to endorse one type of sexual sin, not by allowing "gay" Scouts to participate, but by choosing to vote in favor of the lifestyle.
6. Christ's Church has been given "the words of eternal life." (John 6:68) The BSA does not have such words, even though there are obviously a sizable number of Christians in the BSA.
7. Christ's Church will last forever. The BSA will fold up shop at some point in the future and will be no more.
8. Everyone in Christ's Church will go to heaven. You are not in Christ's Church unless your soul is saved through faith in Christ. Not every Boy Scout will go to heaven.
9. Christ's Church proclaims the message that a person can only be made holy in God's eyes through faith in the Savior's shed blood on the cross. The BSA does not take a position on the cross or the blood of Jesus.
10. Christ's Church is the one true Church, and is made up of all believers regardless of their denominational affiliation. The BSA is not a church, and they don't claim to be one.
11. Those who belong to Christ's Church are taught the Scriptures by pastors and teachers in Christ's Church. The Boy Scouts do not teach the Bible to their members. That is not their purpose.
12. The Boy Scouts do not seek the fullness of the Holy Spirit for their group gatherings. Christ's Church relies upon the Holy Spirit to do His work. Without this work of the Holy Spirit, we would not have Christ's Church. The existence of the BSA is not dependent upon the work of the Holy Spirit.
13. The Boy Scouts do not sing praises to God when they gather for their meetings. Christ's Church is made up of people who join their voices in praise to the Lord of heaven.
14. The Boy Scouts do not teach their members about heaven and hell. Christ's Church has been given the truth about heaven and hell in Scripture.
15. The BSA is not a spiritual organization. Christ's Church is a spiritual organism.
16. Boy Scouts do not celebrate the Lord's Supper as part of their gatherings. Christ's Church celebrates the Lord's Supper regularly "to proclaim the Lord's death until He comes." (1 Cor. 11:26)
17. Boy Scouts are not taught about prayer to God. Christ's Church teaches believers how to pray to the Lord, and that we can only come to the Father through the Son. (John 14:6)
18. The BSA does not send out missionaries to spread the Gospel and baptize new believers. Christ's Church sends out missionaries to reach others for Jesus with the Gospel message, and then to baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
19. God has not promised to always be with the BSA. God has promised that He will never leave or forsake His children. (Hebrews 13:5)
20. The BSA defines morality according to common sense. Christ's Church defines right and wrong according to God's Word.
21. Christ's Church teaches that a person must be spiritually born again in order to enter heaven. (John 3:1-7) The BSA does not teach their members about the necessity of being born again.
22. Jesus Christ is the Head of His Church. Jesus Christ is not the head of the Boy Scouts.
23. Some BSA leaders over the years have made general references to the 10 Commandments when teaching morality to the scouts. But there has never been an official position of the BSA about how scouts can solve their problem of breaking God's commandments. Christ's Church has been given not only God's Law, but also the Gospel. The solution to man's sin is found only in the Gospel.
24. The principles of scouting have historically been standards that virtually every religion could endorse. The message of Christianity is one that only Christ's Church can honestly and fully endorse.
25. Jesus Christ lives on the inside of every believer. Jesus does not live on the inside of every Boy Scout and every Boy Scout leader.
God loves everyone in His Church, and each one of them is a Christian. I am referring of course to the "invisible church" made up of all who know Christ. God also loves every Boy Scout, even though a significant number of scouts remain spiritually dead in their sin. They have not yet repented of their sin and trusted in Christ to forgive them.
The BSA has done a lot of good on the level of helping young men to be responsible citizens. It is a sign of our times that the BSA voted to give their blessing to the gay lifestyle. That is the way the world approaches sexual ethics.
As it is, the BSA will continue to make decisions according to man's common sense as they conform to cultural pressures. The Lord's Church will continue to be guided by the Holy Spirit. Both groups are filled with sinners. But only one group has been given the message from God which gives people forgiveness of their sins through faith in Christ's death on the cross.
"God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son, so that whoever believes in Him will not perish, but will have everlasting life." (John 3:16) Only Christ's blood "cleanses us from all sin." (1 John 1:9) Common sense and basic morality have never provided forgiveness for even one transgression.
Why should we think that common sense would get homosexuality correct if it can't even understand the necessity of the cross of Christ? Only the Holy Spirit can enlighten us regarding the cross, and the truthfulness of God's Word.
The BSA will continue to advance their version of morality. The Holy Spirit will continue to advance Jesus and His free gift of eternal life in paradise. It is a message which changes people from the inside out.
Would you like to be a disciple in Christ's Church? The benefits are out of this world.