Hawaii Girl's Dental Procedure Turns Deadly as Family Claims Negligence

A three-year-old in Hawaii has died a month after undergoing a routine dental procedure.

Finley Boyle visited the dentist on December 3 to have several root canals but suffered massive brain damage instead. The child was taken to a hospice center when doctors described the child as being in a "persistent vegetative state."

The girl died with family by her side on Saturday, said Kenneth L. Zeri, president and chief professional officer of Hospice Hawaii.

"There are few greater privileges in life than to accompany someone on their end-of-life journey, providing comfort and support not only to that person but also to their loved ones," read a statement provided by the facility. "As with all of our patients, we were truly blessed to be able to be there for The Boyle Family and for Finley at the end of her journey."

Finley's parents are suing a Kailua, Hawaii dentist, alleging negligence and dangerous conduct.

The lawsuit, filed against Lilly Geyer and her practice, Island Dentistry for Children, alleges improper medications with incorrect dosages were administered to the girl, according to court documents filed this week.

"As a direct and proximate result of the medications administered to (Finley) by defendants, (Finley) suffered cardiac arrest during her dental procedure," the lawsuit states.

A technician allegedly gave Finley high doses of Demerol, hydroxyzine and chloral hydrate, as well as nitrous oxide before she went into cardiac arrest, but her mother states nobody was even there to administer CPR.

"Had it been initiated at the correct time she'd be walking out of the hospital right now," Boyle said.

Boyle's attorney says records show Finley wasn't monitored while she was sedated. Instead of checking her oxygen levels every five minutes, it wasn't done for 26 minutes which is why the brain damage was so severe.

Island Dentistry in Kailua, HI is now closed permanently. The business's telephone line has been disconnected and the dentist's office has yet to publically comment on the incident.