Logan Stiner, Prom King, Dies of Caffeine Overdose Days Before Graduation

FacebookLogan Stiner, seen here in his prom king photo, died of a caffeine overdose on May 27, 2014.

Logan Stiner, the 18-year-old prom king from Keystone High School in Ohio, was found dead in his home on May 27, just days before he was set to graduate. The teenager had taken a lethal dose of caffeine, an autopsy has recently revealed.

Logan Stiner had just been crowned the prom king of his Lagrange, Ohio high school on May 26, but his brother came home to him passed out on the floor of their kitchen at around 11 a.m. The brother had thought Logan had possibly been drinking, but after calling 911, paramedics arrived and confirmed that he was dead.

"He's on the ground passed out. I don't know how long he's been lying there," the brother had said in the 911 call.

While the family mourned Stiner, thinking his death could have been from natural causes, the Lorain County Coroner's report revealed that the teen had 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of blood in his system. 50 micrograms is considered a lethal dose.

Residents are shocked at Stiner's death.

"I never thought it would hurt an 18-year-old child," Lora Balka, who lives in Lagrange, told WKYC news. "I hope they paid attention and learned something from it."

Stiner's mother, Katie, said that after her son's death she found bags of caffeine powder around the house— the teen had told his mother he took a "pre-workout" substance since he was on the wrestling team, but she never realized it was harmful.

"I didn't even know you could buy caffeine powders," Jason Orlock, another resident, said.

Too much caffeine can cause an irregular heartbeat and seizures.

Stiner, a National Honor Student, would have graduated a week after his death. He was headed to the University of Toledo to study chemical engineering.