| Coronavirus →

Ohio School Shooting Results in Third Teen's Death (VIDEO)

A third teen was confirmed dead Tuesday in the Chardon, Ohio school shooting that has sent shock waves throughout the nation.

Early Tuesday morning it was announced that the second victim of the shooting, 17-year-old Russell King Jr. was declared brain dead by the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office.

A few hours later, a third victim, Demetrius Hewlin, 16, was pronounced dead

"We are very saddened by the loss of our son and others in our Chardon community. Demetrius was a happy young man who loved life and his family and friends. We will miss him very much but are proud that he will be able to help others through organ donation," the Hewlin family said in a statement.

The Chardon High School shooting occurred at around 7:30 a.m. on Monday when bullied and outcast student T.J. Lane allegedly opened fire inside the school cafeteria.

Chardon is a small community of several thousand located around 30 miles east of Cleveland.

On Monday, 16-year-old Daniel Parmertor was declared dead just hours after the shooting occurred. Two other teenagers sustained wounds and are in stable condition at the Hilcrest Hospital, according to authorities.

Lane, a juvenile, is in custody at the Geauga County Safety Center and is expected to make an initial court appearance at 3:30 p.m. today. Reports indicate that 17-year-old will likely be tried as an adult. 

Law enforcement sources told CBS News that Lane is cooperating with authorities and had told them that he warned his friends of the impending attack two days prior.

Around 100 students were present in the cafeteria at the time of the shooting but Lane had targeted a direct group of individuals, according to freshman Danny Komertz.

"He was aiming right at them as he was two feet away … He wasn't shooting around the cafeteria at all. He was directly aiming at the four of them," the teen told CNN.

Lane reportedly fled the scene of the crime after the school's assistant football coach Frank Hall chased him out of the cafeteria. He was later tracked down by police about a half a mile from Chardon.

The 17-year-old's lawyer, Bob Farinacci, told WKYC news station that the teen was "extremely remorseful" and "very, very scared."

"He is very confused. He is very upset. He's very distraught ... himself. This is a very scary circumstance that I don't think he could have possibly even foreseen himself in the middle of," Farinacci said.

School was closed Tuesday as the Chardon community struggles to come to grips with the shocking events. Chardon school superintendent Joe Bergant said that counselors would be available to students and families struggling with grief.

"If you haven't hugged or kissed your kid in the last couple of days, take that time," Bergant told parents.

Lane was said to have written a telling note on his Facebook page in December, in which he spoke of death.

"Now! Feel death, not just mocking you… Die, all of you," the 17-year-old reportedly wrote on the social media website.

Frainacci released a statement Monday evening from the Lane family which expressed their sorrow for the loss.

"The family is devastated by this recent event. They want to express their most heartfelt and sincere condolences to the family of the young man who passed and their continuing prayers are with all those who were injured."

Free CP Newsletters

Join over 250,000 others to get the top stories curated daily, plus special offers!


Most Popular

More Articles